Monday, August 3, 2009

Nutrition, Cardio, Strength Training


Diet. Nutrition and supplementation are the most important aspect of losing weight. Dehrydation is not something I recommend at all. I've had to dehydrate myself a few times, but I feel like I've matured beyond that. Anytime I was dehydrated I felt sluggish. I was tired and miserable all the time, not to mention I'd look like the walking dead. A positive attitude only lasts so long. It's time to do it right.

When training I always like to eat food that will help me maintain lean muscle, help with recovery, and energy for training. I like to eat a large meal in the morning for sustained energy throughout the day. This is also when I like to eat my most carbs. I eat the same exact breakfast almost everyday.

For this training camp breakfast consists of:

2 eggs
3-4 egg whites
mushrooms
scrambled with a little olive oil (which is a good fat that helps with recovery)
fresh salsa
2 pieces of toast w/cream cheese (dairy, also good for recovery and calcium aids in fat loss)
1 piece of fruit

Also important (when you can afford it) is proper supplementation. I can't really suggest anything because everyone is different, but I can tell you what I like.

  • Animal Pak - multi-vitamin for bodybuilders. Google it. It has a ridiculous amount of the vitamins you need to train and live on. The package says to take it twice a day. I only take one because of the sheer amount of vitamins that are in it.
  • BSN Syntha 6 - It's a proprietary blend of 5 or 6 different proteins instead of standard whey protein. Plus, it's the best tasting protein powder with the least amount of fat that I've found.
  • Glucosamine Powder - This is extremely important for recovery.
  • N.O. Xplode - It's a nitrous oxide product that helps vascularity, which is a fancy way of saying it opens veins for better transport of oxygen, water and blood while working out. Plus, it's crazy good energy.
I don't like to over supplement because, again, I'm not trying to get jacked. I need to lose weight.

My cardio regiment will have to change for this fight. Cardio has never been an issue, but I've also never run to train for a fight. Boxer's and other MMA fighters run for miles a day! Running sucks. So I don't plan on running for miles a day.

I've always been in pretty good shape, and gotten that way by doing strength training circuits or functional MMA circuits. However, this time I will include running in the mix.

Cardio & Strength Training Plan:
  • Run 3 days a week for 30 minutes increasing my speed every time until it's a sprint. Thats 2 full non title pro-fights.
  • High rep, high intensity kettlebell/bodyweight/functional strength training. Functional strength training refers to sandbags, tire work, medicine balls, heavy bag work.
  • High intensity MMA circuits. Kickboxing to wrestling to boxing to grappling to ground and pound bag etc.
It's important to shock the system and keep high intensity strength training workouts to 45 minutes or less. Anything more and I could actually begin to lose muscle and testosterone levels can drop to insufficient levels.

Stay tuned for some training video, pics, and the weekly scale pic update.

Life is simple. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment